Here at the Cesar Leyva team, we never miss a chance to indulge on Taco Tuesday and Los Angeles is home to some incredible taco restaurants. This Tuesday, we decided to venture out of our Taco Tuesday comfort zone and try to recreate our favorite Street Cart Taco's at home. After several attempts, we have found the best Street Cart Taco recipe that everyone will enjoy. The best taco joint, just might be your kitchen! Let us know what you think!
Street Cart Tacos
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 minutes
Grill: 15 minutes
- 3 cups diced fresh pineapple
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1 tbsp minced jalapeno
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 2 tsp ancho chile powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 lb skirt steak
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into planks
- 12 flour tortillas
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- Crumbled queso fresco, cilantro leaves, lime wedges and hot sauce, for serving.
- Heat grill or grill pan to medium-high. In a medium bowl, combine first 3 ingredients. Drizzle with 1 tbsp lime juice and olive oil. Season with 1/8 tsp each salt and pepper.
- Mix 1/8 tsp each salt and pepper with the chile powder and cumin. Rub on chicken and steak. Drizzle with tbsp lime juice.
- Grill pepper planks and chicken for 12 to 15 minutes and steak for 8 to 10 minutes, turning halfway through. Remove from grill and let rest 5 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly char tortillas on grill. Slice pepper, chicken and steak into strips and arrange on a platter.
- Service with warm tortillas, pineapple salsa, avocado, radishes, queso fresco, cilantro, lime wedges, and hot sauce.